CUPS not 'resetting' as I'd expect

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 18:00:01 UTC 2005

On 6/2/05, Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 11:36:58AM -0400, Matt Morgan wrote:
>
> > Symptom/Workaround 1: when we tried to add this printer to each
> > workstation,
>
> Here's the first odd thing: why are you adding the queue definition to
> every workstation, rather than just letting CUPS browsing distribute
> the queue definition for you?
>
> In system-config-printer on the server, make the queue 'shared'.  Then
> it's just a case of making sure that the iptables rules on the clients
> allow incoming UDP port 631 traffic.

This is a Windows server sharing the printer, not RH. Is there a
Windows equivalent?

I'm going to guess that it's already broadcasting, and it's a matter
of opening port 631 on the clients. But then how do users connect it?
You must be root to get into System Settings--Printers. And I don't
want them to connect all the browseable printers, that's too many.

> > we thought we could just ssh over and copy in a new
> > /etc/cups/printers.conf file.
>
> This is the second odd thing -- the assumption that the entire CUPS
> configuration is stored in /etc/cups/printers.conf.  It is not, by a
> long way.
>
> You can use 'printconf-tui --Xexport' to export the configuration as
> XML, and 'printconf-tui --Xclear; printconf-tui --Ximport' to import
> it.

Cool, thanks!

I'm still left with the login issue. Why wouldn't that start working
as soon as we recreated the linuxprint account and restarted CUPS on
the clients?