Root mail account is dying

A. Rick Anderson a_rick at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 3 01:32:49 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
> A. Rick Anderson wrote:
>
>> Whenever I attempt to access mail from root, it pauses, then dies with
>> the following error message.
..
>> fseek: Invalid argument
>> panic: temporary file seek
>> Aborted
>> You have mail in /var/spool/mail/root
>
> Perhaps /var/spool/mail/root lives on one of the bad disk blocks that
> SMART is complaining about?
>
> Can you copy /var/spool/mail/root to another file and then open it with
> "Mail -f filename"?

Tried moving it to /root/mail and then opened it with the -f command.  I
got the exact same error.  However, since I had "moved" the mail file,
that effectively meant that the original file under /var/spool/mail was
now gone.

Running a simple mail gave me the expected "no mail" message, but exited
gracefully.  I am assuming the mail file was corrupted somehow.

--
A. Rick Anderson