ide-detect

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sat Jun 4 02:00:47 UTC 2005

At 3:45 AM +0200 6/4/05, Maarten W. Boomstra wrote:
>My Fedora Core 3 hangs on ide-detect.
>Red hat 9 waits a long time for hdg and then sees that there is nog
>response.
>Can anybody help me with this problem?
>Thanks a lot,

This sounds not unlike what happened to me, except that mine didn't hang,
it just took an extra 90 seconds to boot while probing and re-probing ide
devices.  I assume that you've waited at least that long?  And are booting
without the "quiet" option, so you know it's ide-detect?  (On my system, it
says "Probing", not "ide-detect".)

I sped things up by adding "hda=noprobe hdb=noprobe" to the kernel command
line.  This was proper for my system, which has 2 IDE controllers, with the
faster one being PCI so it is probed second.  Something similar might be
appropriate for you: "hdg=noprobe" (is "hdg" really what you meant, or is
it just another spurious "g"?).