removing a user from a group

Callahan, Michael MichaelCallahan at templeinland.com
Sat Jun 4 17:55:57 UTC 2005

I've read books, man pages, searched high and low and haven't found a
satisfactory answer yet - how does one remove a user or users from a group
via the shell?  I don't want to use the GUI tools.  The closest answer I've
found is that you use usermod -G and list all of the groups the user should
be in; leave out the one you want them removed from and they will be removed
from that group.  That works, but I'm thinking there has to be a better way.
Is there a better method?

Michael Callahan
Systems Admin - NT Sr.
Temple Inland Corporate Services
1300 S Mopac Expwy
Austin TX  78746
office: 512-434-1767
cell: 512-426-0234
MichaelCallahan at templeinland.com

**********    Confidentiality Notice    **********
This electronic transmission and any attached documents or other
writings are confidential and are for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) identified above. This message may contain information
that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure
under applicable law. If the receiver of this information is not the
intended recipient, or the employee, or agent responsible for delivering
the information to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any use, reading, dissemination, distribution, copying or storage of this
information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in
error, please notify the sender by return email and delete the electronic
transmission, including all attachments from your system.