Which SCSI module to switch to?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 03:47:43 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 21:33, Jeff Vian wrote:

> > Well, when I replace the buslogic card with the adaptec card, I still
> > get a kernel panic even after editing modprobe.conf ! It sill loads
> > the buslogic module.  Now I really don't know where the system is
> > picking this up from.  This happens before the "Interactive startup"
> > section of booting.  Will someone please tell me how I can get out of
> > this mess?
> >

> Doesn't kudzu see the old card as removed and the new card as added?

He can't get that far if he is booting from the new controller.  Bios
will load the kernel, then it won't be able to find the module unless
it is included in the initial ramdisk.  So, after adding the module
entry to modprobe.conf you have to build a new ramdisk image with
/sbin/mkinitrd while you still have the old controller working. You
might be able to do it after the swap by booting the install CD
with 'linux rescue' at the boot prompt, letting it detect the
install and mount the hard disks under /mnt/sysinstall, and doing
the chroot there that it will suggest.  If you cd to /boot first and
rename the old initrd-xxx...img file as a backup, you can use the
same name with the initrd command.  Otherwise you'll also have to
edit /etc/grub.conf to make it load the new name.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com