Multi boot with Fedora, XP, and second Linux distro

Bruno Costacurta cd1 at biz.tiscali.be
Sun Jun 5 08:34:53 UTC 2005

On Sunday 05 June 2005 06:24, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sat June 4 2005 11:40 pm, Jonathan Berry wrote:
> > You are welcome, though from your question below maybe it isn't quite
> > *perfectly* clear yet :).  Let's see if we can clear it up some more.
>
> Ok - you got me there...
>
> >....  But if you have your FC3 GRUB do this, the other distros won't
> > automatically update the FC3 grub.conf to point to new kernels
> > whenever you get an update.  The chainloader scheme allows each OS to
> > manage it's own bootloader, and one OS will have the primary
> > bootloader which will chain to the others.  Is it more clear now?
>
> Ok - this is the part that explains the 'logic' of the other, and makes it
> all clear, because now I understand the 'why'. Thanks again - in the few
> minutes these exchanges took, I've gotten more than in an hour or so of
> plowing through complex pages that were full of unnecessary info for my
> scenario.
>
> --
> Claude Jones
> Bluemont, VA, USA

I experienced the subject of this email with 2 disks (hd0=XP+Fedora,
hd1=Ubuntu). Unfortunately it did not completely worked as XP is now broken.
Precisely XP start (XP logo appears very briefly) but crashes (the famous
Windows blue screen...).
Boot loader is grub and order of installations were :XP+Fedora (=OK), +Ubuntu
(=Not OK for XP).
(Note: please see hereafter my grub.conf)

Has anyone an idea about this ?
Maybe I need to re-install XP (but is it possible without erasing Fedora or
Ubuntu on respectiv choosen disk for XP) and after reinstalling grub from a
boot in rescue mode ?

File grub.conf:

(...)
default=1
timeout=10

title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.27_FC3)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.27_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.27_FC3.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.27_FC3smp)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.27_FC3smp ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.27_FC3smp.img

title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.10-5-386
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386 root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-5-386
savedefault
boot

title Windows XP
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)