sticky directory

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Jun 5 09:51:57 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 10:45 +0200, Andy Pieters wrote:
> Hi
>
> I see here that I have a device /dev/shm with a size of about 500mb
>
> I don't remember creating it and when I file it it says
> /dev/shm: sticky directory
>
> Anybody know what that means?

The "sticky" refers to the "sticky" or "t" bit shown in the directory
permissions:

# ls -ld /dev/shm
drwxrwxrwt  2 root root 40 May  7 14:47 /dev/shm

Permissions set up like this enable anyone to create new files and
directories in this directory, but only the owner of a file or directory
can remove them. You'll find that /tmp is set up the same way.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>