sticky directory

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sun Jun 5 14:30:38 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 09:40:49AM -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> > > Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> > > /dev/shm                   505         0       505   0% /dev/shm
> I agree that the ramdisk is not a problem but the df -m does not show
> anything to make you feel better. It tells us that 505 Mb are being
> taken up by the partition but none of it is being used. One might ask
> why am I giving up 505Mb  of my disk if none of it is being used.

One might ask that, but one would be barking up the wrong tree. :)

It's true that if you don't know what the mount point /dev/shm is, you might
think that you're giving up disk space, but if you know that it's not a disk
device at all and realize that it's taken out of RAM as needed up to the
defined limit (which as you can see defaults to about half of your physical
RAM), then it *does* show you something to make you feel better.