how can you verify that the site you get is not a fake?

Andy Pieters mailings at vlaamse-kern.com
Sun Jun 5 21:31:04 UTC 2005

Hi Bruce

I will answer your question with an example

Let's say you want the site www.google.com

open a terminal window

type
host www.google.com

www.google.com is an alias for www.l.google.com.
www.l.google.com has address 66.102.9.147
www.l.google.com has address 66.102.9.104
www.l.google.com has address 66.102.9.99
www.google.com is an alias for www.l.google.com.
www.google.com is an alias for www.l.google.com.

The result shows you that google has multiple ip addresses.  That's ok you can
use any one you like.

Take an ip address from the list and type it in your browser

This makes it pretty sure that you have the right page.

Caveat: it is possible to spoof this also if someone is able to access your
dns settings, or to the dns of your provider.  (in general your provider is
very wel protected against this)

HTH

Andy

--