how can you verify that the site you get is not a fake?

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 6 04:26:17 UTC 2005

ssl certs don't allow you, the user to know if you're at the right site!!
unless it's not possible to fake the information returned by the server to
the client. i suspect that the information stream is easily faked...

my question.. how do you know that paypal.com.. ia actually paypal.com
(paypal), and not a carefuly crafted fake!

-bruce