Problem installing azureus

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 13:40:36 UTC 2005

On 6/6/05, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 02:16 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> > > First at all, don't run user application as root, create a normal user
> > > account with
> > > # useradd <username>
> > > and use it for everyday work.
> > >

> > I also install programs as root. I thought that this is how it is
> > done. Otherwise, how could multiple users (we are two on our home
> > machine) both use it?
> >
> > When programs are installed as user (not root), aren't they not
> > accesable by other users?
>
> Programs should be *installed* by root (so they go in /usr/... etc.,
> which is only writable by root), but they should be *run* as regular
> users.
>
> Paul.
> --
> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
>
> --

It's just that the OP mentioned that
> > when i run azureus installation from the terminal i get this
> > [root at localhost azureus]# ./azureus

Which to me looks like he is installing Azureus. So I didn't
understand the point of mentioning not to run the program as root, as
that was not what he was doing.

As a by-the-way, how am I to know who to trust when I install
software? I have installed many things from sourceforge. Can I be
certain to trust every author on sourceforge? Because I feel like if
I'm downloading something, su, then running (installing) it, I am
doing something unsafe. Not everything is available in yum.

For that matter, how to be sure that all which is included in yum is safe?

Thanks.

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/pages/artist_albums.php/370/Nelly
Nelly Lyrics