how can you verify that the site you get is not a fake?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Jun 6 15:42:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:28:07AM -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> This is an interesting thought.  When one bank that we used changed
> from UNIX to Windows servers, the passwords became case insensitive
> and would not accept some characters.  We raised this with the bank
> and they didn't seem to concerned.

A bank I used switch systems and changed everyone's username to be
six-letters-of-last-name+year-of-birth and set the passwords to last four
digits of social security number. I called up and complained, but they
didn't see a problem with this even after I explained very carefully.

Needless to say, I switched banks.