AC'97 sound card problem

henry ritzlmayr fedora at rc0.at
Mon Jun 6 16:22:16 UTC 2005

Am Samstag, den 04.06.2005, 18:15 -0400 schrieb sc0ri0n:
> On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 17:19 +0200, henry ritzlmayr wrote:
> > I had exactly the same problem after upgrading.
> > To solve it make sure the two options 'Headphone Jack Sense' and 'Line
> > Jack Sense' are off. Then you have sound again.
> >
> > happy listening
> >
> > Henry

> Henry,
>
> I checked my settings again for these two you mentioned and as I wrote
> above they were already off but I did not hear anything.  Still, I kept
> on trying to mute/unmute others and got noise at some point.  Then, I
> muted all and started to unmute them one by one.  After a little bit
> more trial-and-error, suddenly it worked!  Interestingly, it turned out
> that I really just needed to have that two Muted!  Why it did not work
> before is beyond me.
>
> Thanks very much!
> Adil

Adil,

what I can tell is that since kernel-2.6.10 there are two new options
wich are not known in kernel-2.6.9 and lower. Since those options are
not known in former kernels it might only look like those options are
off while in fact they are "not set". I upgraded to kernel-2.6.11 over
the weekend on an other system and when I first started I had no sound
as well (what a surprise). The two options appeared to be off. I
switched them on and off. After that the sound started to play right
away. I didn´t change anything else just the two options.

Henry