how can you verify that the site you get is not a fake?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Jun 6 17:35:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, bruce wrote:

> and matt.. now you see the issue that i've been dealing with...
>
> my bad for not clarifying it earlier.. the ssl aspect helps, but it still
> doesn't get to the issue of allowing someone to 'know' or be extremely
> certain, that the site they're on, is the 'right' site for the url that
> they're trying to obtain...
>
> on a similar tip. if you lose your password.. what's a secure way to get the
> password. the current method (of course) is to send you a new password via
> email.. assuming that you know your username. but given the fact that email
> is text, and could easily be sniffed, is there another/better way.. (and
> let's not get into public/private encryption!!)

why not? public-private encyrption is the right tool for a number of
jobs... A better solution in the context of shell accounts at least is
simply not to use passwords. when you create an account for someone. you
have them generate dsa keypair they send you the public part in clear text
email, you drop it in their ~/.ssh/authorized_keys they log in with the
private half. no passwords went over the wire. A similar thing can be
done with ssl webservers and client keys.