Multi boot with Fedora, XP, and second Linux distro

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Mon Jun 6 19:37:27 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 18:39 +0200, Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> On Sunday 05 June 2005 15:42, Andy Pieters wrote:
> > On Sunday 05 June 2005 10:54, Andy Pieters wrote:
> > > swap(hd0,hd1)
> > > swap(hd1,hd0)
> > > rootnoverify(hd1)
> > > chainloader +1
> >
> > Please note that this is just an example.  When booting your XP, make it
> > think that it is on primary partition by swapping the boot partition with
> > the partition xp is on.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Andy
> > --
>
> Hi Andy,
> thanks for precision. Unfortunately still not working...
>
> title Windows XP
>         swap(hd1,hd0)
>         swap(hd0,hd1)
>         rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>         chainloader +1

If XP is on the first drive (hd0) the swapping is not necessary.

The GRUB command you want is "map" not "swap".  Should be more like

title Windows XP
	map (hd0) (hd1)
	map (hd1) (hd0)
	rootnoverify (hd1)
	chainloader +1

> Note: I'm currently considering testing VMware.

VMware beats the heck out of dual-boot IMHO, as long as what you need
works well under VMware (e.g. no 3D games), your pockets (or employer's)
are deep enough, and performance is acceptable.

Phil