OT - Netgear print servers

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Jun 6 20:36:17 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 06.06.2005 schrieb David Fletcher um 22:22:

> Alexander,

Hi, I guess you mean me :)

> I saw your name on a thread on another list, talking about the Netgear PS101
> print server, and how it won't work unless the firewall is switched off.
>
> The one I have at work is now working with FC3, without any adjustments to the
> firewall.
>
> I found the trick posted by some hero on another mailing list or customer
> feedback on somewhere such as Amazon, I can't remember exactly where.
>
> What you have to do is fire up windows, unfortunately, then get the required
> firmware update from the Netgear web site, in my case version 6029, and
> unpack the .bin file. Next, get version 6101 (For Appletalk Users Only) and
> extract the .exe file.
>
> Run the .exe file, which is the installer for a little flash update program.
> Use the update program to flash the print server with the version 6029 .bin
> update.
>
> Use the Netgear utilities to configure the print server, then reboot FC3, and
> add the new printer queue. I configured it as Networked UNIX (LPD). Now it
> works.
>
> Hope this helps somebody.

I am sure it will help someone.

> Dave Fletcher

Thanks for your feedback which is public archived now. Unfortunately my
older (version 2) version of the Netgear PS110 already has the latest
firmware installed (I did update when investigating the problem:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=809 ->
ps110v2_6025.bin for S/N PS11D). I am scared to try installing the
firmware ps110v3_fw6028.zip for version 3 of the PS110 as it probably
would leave my printserver in a dead state. So I skip that and handle
the case with an iptables rule. Glad though that the new firmware helped
in your case.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC2smp
Serendipity 22:28:51 up 13 days, 21:06, load average: 0.32, 0.21, 0.13