Disable Middle mouse button?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jun 7 12:41:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 23:17 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 10:40 PM -0400 6/6/05, Matthew Miller wrote:
> >On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:01:42PM -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
> >> It's on the mouse wheel, and when I (accidentally) activate it, weird
> >> cutting and pasting occurs.  Googling I see this is normal, but not how to
> >> configure it.  If I had a real middle button I'd probably still want to
> >> disable what is happening.  I expect this is a question about X, but
> >> pointers would be helpful.
> >
> >Once you get used to it, I think this form of copy and paste is much, much
> >easier than the way some other operating systems do it, because it optimizes
> >for the common case -- selecting automatically copies, and one click to
> >paste.
>
> Let's imagine that, as on my system, on your system this happened randomly
> when you rolled the mouse wheel.  Would you "get used to it" or would you
> want it to /stop happening/?  In any event, I want it to stop happening.

I suspect it is not 'random'.  I expect you are applying enough pressure
that you sometimes trip the middle switch when scrolling the wheel.

If I were to do that I would learn how much pressure it took and then
make sure I did not unintentionally apply that much pressure.

In other words, I would learn how to use my mouse the way it is designed
to be used.

> How can I disable the middle mouse button?  Selecting a 2 Button Mouse has
> no effect.

I don't know that it can be disabled.  With the 2 button mouse you can
emulate a 3rd button by clicking both buttons at the same time, and a 3
button mouse can be done with clicking just the middle button or by
clicking both right and left buttons.