Filled up the filesystem. How?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jun 8 08:56:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 07:57 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Yes, when I checked the directory tree I check /tmp. It is empty. As
> about the only thing that I can do on this machine is browse the web,
> I have been looking for a command that will show me all large
> files/directories. I thought that df would do it, but man doesn't seem
> to know of any option that would do this. Nor does google!
>
> How does one go about searching for bloat? All the obvious (logs, tmp,
> yum clean all) leave no hints.

If you're looking for bloat I guess you mean large packages that are
worth removing. Try this (all one line):

$ rpm -qa --qf '%{SIZE} %{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}\n' | sort -rn >
bloat.txt

The resulting file bloat.txt will be a list of all of your RPM packages,
sorted by the amount of disk space they use, biggest at the top. Look
down that list for packages you don't use and "rpm -e" them. If you're
not sure what a package is, try "rpm -qi packagename" to find out. If
another package has a dependency on the one you're trying to remove, rpm
will tell you about it.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>