Font Problems on FC Linux & Freetype

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Jun 9 06:45:42 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller wrote:
| On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 04:35:49PM -0800, James T. Carver wrote:
|
|>Due to copyright matters regarding the truetype "hinting", the
freetype that
|>is shipped with redhat and other Linux OS that are from within the United
|>States has this bytecode turned off. The free type web site goes into
this

| Patent, not copyright, right?

Right:

http://freetype.sourceforge.net/patents.html

''The TrueType Patents

~      Apple Computer owns three patents that are related to the
processing of glyph outlines within TrueType fonts. This process if also
called hinting or grid-fitting and is used to enhance the quality of
glyphs at small bitmap sizes. The patents are:
~          o

~            Patent #1 :  US5155805: Method and apparatus for moving
control points in displaying digital typeface on raster output devices

~            Filed on May, 8 1989
~          o

~            Patent #2 : US5159668: Method and apparatus for manipulating
outlines in improving digital typeface on raster output devices

~            Filed on May, 8 1989 too. Actually, the two patents were
filed and granted concurrently.
~          o

~            Patent #3 : US5325479: Method and apparatus for moving
control points in displaying digital typeface on raster output devices

~            Filed on May 28, 1992

~      It's important to understand that the patents do not prevent
anyone from reading, converting or generating TrueType fonts. As they
only concern the subtle art of hinting TrueType glyphs, it's even
possible to legally display text with TrueType fonts, as long as the
patented techniques aren't used to optimise the bitmaps at small pixel
sizes.''

The freetype page explains that they have never been attacked for their
implementation, which Apple must certainly be aware of.

I use a version with the interpreter enabled, and the difference is
quite extreme for the fonts with the hinting.

- -Andy