firewall, spam and virus control in one box

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Thu Jun 9 09:08:26 UTC 2005

Hi,

Bjørn-Sverre Nøttum schrieb:

> Is it possible to put all these applications in a fedora box, and make
> this a sort of a "securebox" that is filtering all in- and outgoing
> traffic?

in short, yes. What do you mean by firewalls?

> I have looked at spamassasin and clamav, but I am not sure if these are
> the best choises. And I have not found anything on how to make them work
> together. When it comes to fierwalling - is it possible to use the one
> that is pre-built into the fedora release?

we use mailscanner from http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/ with
the FC spamassassin rpm and the clamav rpm from http://dag.wieers.com/apt/

for monitoring the mail/virus/spam-stuff i have the FC logwatch and
mailscanner-mrtg package from http://mailscannermrtg.sourceforge.net/.

By this installation combination, I only had to edit about 20 config
lines in the diffrent well documented configfiles and had a
spam-antivirus-checking e-mail system up and running in about a hour....

we also use the nai antivirus scanner uvscan, so all e-mails are checked
by two scanners in one step.

you may also use the source packages, but i had no problem with the rpms
from the mentioned sources.

our mailsystem serves about 500 users and about 3.500 emails/per day.

/Götz
--
Götz Reinicke
IT Koordinator - IT OfficeNet