yum downgrading

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jun 9 14:17:31 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 14:32 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> What is the best way of replacing a package by an older version?
>
> Recent versions of X have not worked on my Sony C1VFK Picturebook.
> [To be honest I have not tried the most recent version,
> as I have "exclude=xorg-x11*" in my /etc/yum.conf .]
>
> But I'm thinking that the X in FC4 will probably not work,
> and I'd like to be able to install my present working version
> (which I compiled) if that is so.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.

If you want to downgrade to a set of home-made packages, put the
packages you want to use in a directory of their own and do:

# rpm -Uvh --oldpackage *.rpm

This will work as long as nothing that is already installed (and not
being downgraded) depends on something that's in the currently-installed
packages and is not provided by your downgraded versions.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>