apache updates

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jun 9 18:27:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 14:04 -0400, Michael E. Webster wrote:
> Sorry if it's been posted before.  I've google'd and searched the
> forum archives and didn't
> find any answers.
>
> I'm currently running FC3 with Apache 2.0.52 on about 20 servers.
> Several different security
> scan programs are showing two vulnerabilities and want me to 'upgrade
> apache' to the latest
> and greatest version (2.0.54)

Remember that version numbers can be misleading, and that Red Hat often
backport security fixes to older versions for stability reasons. Check
the changelog of your httpd package (rpm -q --changelog httpd) to see if
any particular security issues you're concerned about have been
addressed in the version of httpd you're running.

> but I'm not having any luck finding it in any repositories.  I can
> force install the new rpm, but I don't want to break anything.

When I want an update that's not available for the current version of
Fedora, the first thing I usually try is to grab the SRPM from Fedora
Core Development (e.g.
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/SRPMS/httpd-2.0.54-10.src.rpm) and try building that on FC3. More often than not, it works.

Building and installing your own RPMs like this doesn't usually result
in dependency issues, and RPM will tell you about them if there are any.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>