FC4 Repositories

Brian Mury b.mury at ieee.org
Thu Jun 9 20:28:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-06 at 11:11 -0400, Temlakos wrote:
> Obviously I need to investigate smartpm. It sounds like a substitute for
> apt and yum--and perhaps will be the best way for me to configure the
> FreshRPMS/dag/dries/at family of repos.

I have been using smartpm for a while and I am very happy with it. It is
now the only method that I use to access repositories.

> If Extras or Livna does not have smartpm, then I probably will go
> straight to SourceForge, or smartpm's home page, and get it from them,

Dag and ATrpms have smartpm.

> I've gotten to
> the point where I configure up2date to check for updates, and then
> execute "yum -y update" whenever I see the throbbing screamer.

I do the same with smartpm. There is occasionally one minor problem:
up2date always looks for the latest version of any package, whereas
smartpm looks for the best version. Sometimes a third party repository
will have the newest package but it is not compatible with other
packages I have installed. smartpm will (correctly) determine that it
should not be installed, but the up2date alert icon keeps showing that
there are new packages. Fortunately the up2date alert icon can be told
to ignore specific packages.

A smartpm alert icon would be nice...