nautilus can't start

kas kas11 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jun 10 03:23:26 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 00:04 -0300, Ben Steeves wrote:
> On 6/9/05, kas <kas11 at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> > Blank desktop too ... no background nor icons? If so, you might try
> > bonobo-slay, perhaps repeatedly, from a terminal while running gnome.  I
>
> Bonobo-slay kills off the stalled nautilus (along with everything
> else), but doesn't fix the problem.  Nautilus still hangs the next
> time I start it.
>
> >  Cleaning out everything in /tmp that the user owned
> > didn't help much here, nor did trimming things out of my session seem to
> > do much, but some combination of those things finally made the problem
> > go away ...
>
> Nope, I've tried the /tmp thing too, no joy.
>
> although it may have been the phase of the moon or the fact
> > the I occasionally shake a Phillips screwdriver at the offending box
> > whilst speaking sharp words and making thinly veiled threats.
>
> Hm, now that I haven't tried.  I'll let you know how it goes :-)
>
> > Dev help
> > has some info on bonobo-activation- servers that may help too.  Can't
> > say that google was my friend this time.
>
> Hm, OK, that's something...

In one case, running bonobo-slay about a dozen times finally provoked
gconf (iirc) to complain and say it was giving up ... prolly once for
each time the system had been booted with the problem existing.  On both
machines, generally running bonobo-slay a couple times brought nautilus
back to life so I left it until irritation overcame inertia.  once I had
gotten the problem to go away on one machine, I guess I had the right
mojo cuz the other one submitted pretty easily.