acroread problems with IDL help files

Saurabh Barve sa at atmos.colostate.edu
Fri Jun 10 17:14:50 UTC 2005

Hi,

I just upgraded to Adobe Acroread 7.0 on an FC2 machine. I'm running IDL
6.1 on the machine. When I try to open the IDL help files (which are in
pdf format), I get this error:

"Acrobat could not load the search index associated with this document
(/usr/local/rsi/idl_6.1/help/INDEX.PDX). The index is either corrupt or
is not compatible with this version. Searching within this document will
therefore be slower. You may wish to rebuild this index using Acrobat
Professional's Catalog feature or contact the document creator"

Recently, I saw another error with opening PDF documents which are not
IDL help documents:

"There was a problem opening the file rsiidl_linux_x86. Failed to login
plugin"

However this file exists with the correct permissions in the user's
directory.

Has anybody else faced the same problems? Any solutions? [Besides going
back to the old Acrobat Reader?]

Thanks,
Saurabh.
"Yours is to work. The results will take care of themselves"
-- Swami Vivekanad

Saurabh Barve
sa at atmos.colostate.edu
(970)491-7714