Hardware Question - A7N8X oddity

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Jun 11 04:00:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 11:13 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > A7N8X Deluxe w/ Athlon XP 2700+
> > Homebuilt system
> >
> > Woke it up from sleep - and it rebooted. Thought it might be a power
> > flux or something.
> > While booting, went elsewhere - came back and it was off.
> > Pressed reset switch and watched - bios was claiming it was an XP1500
> > and was over frequency.
> >
> > I had remembered that happening way back when I built the thing, and I
> > had to change a setting in the bios it get it to see the cpu properly as
> > an XP2700+ and boot.
> >
> > Anyone heard of anything like this?
> > Seems the bios forgot its settings. If it was a mac I would suspect bad
> > pram battery ...
> >

> Funny you should mention this.  I had a monitor failure a few weeks
> ago and had to reboot and I ended up with the same message the odd
> time.  I never thought much of it as the monitor problem was #1
> priority.  I have the same board as you.  I am going to check the ASUS
> WWW site for a bios update before anything else.
>
> I am about to put a new UPS on the system so I will check it as well.

Did it again.
This system is quite old, this issue is very new on a box that had been
rock solid stable for several years, no hardware changes in last few
months.

I'm going to de-dust the innards, start it cool - and run it through
memtest86
If it's bad memory, I buy new ram.
If it's not bad memory, I will try a new power supply.
If that doesn't fix it - I guess I find out what x86_64 is like :D