VOIP with a linksys PAP2

THUFIR HAWAT hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 05:16:01 UTC 2005

On 6/12/05, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> Something is screwy - VOIP shouldn't require anything linux, it
> shouldn't even require that your linux box is turned on.
>
> I'm also using a Linksys product for VOIP (though it's different
> product).
> What is your setup?
>
> It looks like the device you have needs to plug into a router of some
> sort.
> Is that what you are trying to do through your linux box? You can do
> that in Linux - install firestarter from Extras, it has a nice NAT gui
> tool. But in all honesty, it is better to buy a broadband router to go
> between your internet connection and your lan. Then plug your phone
> device into that, and your linux box into that.

ah, I forgot about last time I did this, in windows 2000.  I had to
enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and buy a crosscable, IIRC.

setup is:

internet -> 802.11b router -> 802.11b network adapter -> eth1 ->
Computer -> eth0 -> PAP2

if that makes sense.  the router is not accesible to me, it's my landlord's.

-Thufir