FC4 feature list?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sun Jun 12 09:57:57 UTC 2005

Hi

>Well, I just mention it as something unclear from both FC3 and FC4 release
>notes.  It seems odd that mediacheck would need something to read the disk
>successfully, and yet the real install surely doesn't.

For my understanding this has to do with faulty cd-rom drives which
refuse to turn off dma even when explicitly instructed to do so by the
kernel.

>Well, the release notes would be a good place to put a (full) link to that
>sort of thing.  Especially with the bug or whatever in mediacheck, there
>might be lots of people facing this roadblock when installing on a Windows
>machine, as I did, and I had enough trouble figuring out how to do the more
>mature MD5 checksum stuff.

We could have this in the download page itself now. I googled this
information after the release notes was made.

>>After the installation. Run level really doesnt matter.
>>

>!!  From the tone, I thought Gnome wouldn't work at all.

It might not.

>>>6.1.2  Does one need to edit the kernel command line to include audit=1 in
>>>order for auditd to be "enabled by default"?  Or is it already enabled, and
>>>"auditing within the kernel" is something else that can also be enabled?
>>>

>>As I understand it, the audit daemon is enabled by default but you need
>>to enable the kernel part of it explicitly (probably due to performance
>>hits) either during boot time (audit =1) or for the session (*auditctl
>>-e 1)*
>>

>Hmm.  So the audit daemon is running by default but not doing anything.
>

>>>6.1.4  Is alocate used by Actions -> Search for Files?  (Apparantly yes.)
>>>

>Oops, slocate, meant to fix that.
>

>>I dont think gnome-search-tool using slocate. It is not a build
>>dependency. It doesnt seem to be linked to the binary (ldd). Its not
>>mentioned in the help file either
>>

>I saw it in the FC3 Search for Files help Introduction section: "Search for
>Files uses the find, grep, and locate UNIX commands".  Maybe that's not
>slocate, but man locate brought up the slocate man page.  Don't know about
>FC4.

I forgot to mention that my current system is RHEL3 one so things might
be different for the search tool in FC4. Many of these problems could be
avoided by having more people look into it during the test releases(Yes,
they had release notes too) . Some of these are just prioritizing for
lack of time in relation to the amount of work necessary . Filing
detailed bug reports and initiating early discussions would be most
helpful. You could even request CVS access and provide content yourself
for that matter. Thank you for your feedback

regards
Rahul