What IS reasonable disk drive temperature?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sun Jun 12 18:46:30 UTC 2005

At 12:35 PM -0400 6/12/05, billpwl1 wrote:
>>>While reading this thread I became interested in my systems reading.  So I
>>>installed Ksensors but to my surprise it didn't show me the temps of CPU and
>>>Drives.  How can I see these things too?  Thnx
>>>
>>>My setup:
>>>
>>>Asus A8V Deluxe (v. 2.0) K8T800 No-WiFi/A
>>>AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 512K 90nm
>>>Thermaltake Shark Full Tower Alum
>>>DDR (400) 3200 - 1 GB (2 pcs 512) Corsair
>>>

>>Here's a sort of "me too".  I have an older ASUS mb (A7V133).  I haven't
>>tried to install anything like Ksensors because I don't see anything useful
>>in /proc/acpi (which might be Robert Spangler's problem also).  That info
>>exists; the BIOS shows it and MSWindows was able to show it.  I'm just too
>>new to Linux to know what to do about it.
>>____________________________________________________________________
>>TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
>>      '                              <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>
>>

>You probably need to have the "lmsensors" modules installed for the
>hardware on your mobo.  See http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78 as
>referenced from the Ksensors website at
>http://ksensors.sourceforge.net/ .    Both are probably included in FC3,
>but will need to be configured for your mobo hardware.

Yes, thanks, that seems to have been it.  Got the FC3 core pkg.  I'm still
configuring, trying to decide where to put the files.  I had to create
/etc/modules.conf.  I'm not sure which /etc/rc* file to put stuff in;
rc.local seems better than rc or rc.sysinit.  If I should copy
/prog/init/lm_sensors.init to /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors for this stuff to
work, where is /prog?  There is already a file /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors.