What IS reasonable disk drive temperature?

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sun Jun 12 21:13:14 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 10:02:05AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 06:13:31PM +1000, taso wrote:
> > >Yes, I am.  As I said, you should put them close to an exhaust fan to
> > >pull warm air off them.  The temperature sensors at the hard drive
> > The HD temperature CANNOT be lower than ambient unless there is some type
> > of refrigeration happening. Therefore, your drives are either refrigerated
> > or your measurements are suspect.
>
> Or, a third possibility, which is: you are misunderstanding what Ben is
> saying. :) He means the ambient temperature *inside* the case, not outside.
> Presumably, it's not 40C in his server room or office. Even my
> poorly-conditioned office is, as you can see below, only 82 degrees F --
> about 27C.
No I think what is being stated is that it is hard to imagine how the
disk drives can be at lower temperature that the air in the case. At
least not for long. Otherwise the air the case would begin to heat the
disk drives and eventually they would be at the same temperature.

The computing field is always in need of new cliches.
		-- Alan Perlis
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University