VOIP with a linksys PAP2

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sun Jun 12 21:11:38 UTC 2005

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> On 6/12/05, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 19:19 +0100, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
>>

>>>in terms of hardware, do I need a crossover cable?
>>
>>I don't know - I would suspect yes, but I don't know.
>>If you do, then a hub would also work (as well as allowing other boxes
>>to use your linux box as a gateway)
>>
>>Some linksys equipment is autosensing now and doesn't matter what cable
>>you use.
>

> I have the internet connection (802.11b network adapter) plugged into
> eth0.  a hub is plugged into eth1.  the PAP2 is plugged into the hub,
> and a telephone into the hub.

Your internet connection is WI-FI????  Is this a Linksys router with
WI-FI?  Is it configured to route multiple network traffic or just your
linux machine?  Does it know about the "network" on your Linux machine's
eth1?

If PAP2 is plugged into a HUB, then you don't need a crossover cable,
you want a straight through.  Is your HUB a router, a switch, or a
bridge?  A switch doesn't need configuring, a router may.

How is the telephone plugged into a hub?   Ethernet hubs don't (usually)
have POTS (analog telephone) jacks.  I would think that your telephone
should be plugged into something which is not a network or ethernet
router, but some kind of telephony equipment.  (Isn't that what your
PAP2 is?)

> on boot I got a message about lost packets, but it went by too fast.
> I've installed firestarter.  I need to set up dhcp, perhaps.  how do I
> ping, or ipconfig the hub?

Have you checked your log files (/var/log/messages)?  used the "dmesg"
command to see your boot-up messages?  Just because you didn't read them
on the screen doesn't necessarily mean they are gone forever!

Does your Linux box have IP forwarding configured?  Is the eth1 metwork
publicly routable?  If not, have you configured Linux to do NATing?

How does your PAP2 get its IP address?  If you don't know, you probably
need to configure a DHCP server on Linux as well!  Is there anything
else on the eth1 network (ie, is anything else plugged into your hub)?
If so, how are they allocated IP addresses?

This is all *basic* network configuration....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net