FC4 Download / install - Bittorrent vs. Html/FTP download

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Mon Jun 13 00:05:27 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 19:15 -0400, Tim Holmes wrote:
> Hi Folks:
>
> As I look forward to downloading and installing the new FC4 tomorrow, I
> guess I need to know what is the best way to go about doing it.  I have
> a suspicion that the official mirrors are going to be JAMMED trying to
> get the release, so I am wondering if bittorrent might be the way to go,

Yes, it is - I already have what appears to the the released versions of
the FC4 CDs that I got from BitTorrent.  I was able to download at
almost 2 megs/second.

> but I am basically unfamiliar with it, and from my readings about it, I
> have some concerns about security.  Specifically, does using bittorrent
> open my computer to the possibility of people gaining unauthorized
> access to other portions of my computer / other files.

As with *any* network service, yes, there is a risk.  However,
BitTorrent isn't designed to do what you are asking about.  It's not
like Kazaa where you share your whole hard drive or a whole directory.
Have a look at http://www.bittorrent.com/documentation.html and
http://www.bittorrent.com/FAQ.html for more details.

> Also, Although it is summer and we don't have a lot of users, one way
> for me to get in crosswise with the administration, would be for me to
> set up something that would suck down our bandwidth badly to the point
> where they cannot get to their e-mail / web browsing etc.  is there an
> EASY way to limit the amount of bandwidth that the bittorrent streams
> can use?

Yes, BitTorrent has a little slider bar that lets you set your max
upload speed, or you can use the --max_upload_rate command line
argument.

I have really fallen in love with BitTorrent.  I am seriously impressed
with it.

Thomas