FC3 ISO Weirdness

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Mon Jun 13 01:54:45 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 21:22 -0400, Grand Demon wrote:
> Today I downloaded the four Fedora Core 3 ISO images. I calculated the
> md5 checksums with the md5sum utility and all four matched up to the
> expected values.
>
> However, when I burned the images in Nero (under Windows) and set it
> to verify the disks, Disk Two and Disk Three failed. It stated that
> certain Sectors could not be read. Those same two disks failed under
> Fedora Core's media test.
>
> I also tried to burn the Disk Two image in Toast (under Mac OSX). When
> that verified the disk, it also failed with 'Sector xxx could not be
> read' errors. I went through with the install anyway. Disk one's files
> worked fine (as expected), but Disk Two failed out on one file. When I
> tried the second Disk Two disk (the one I burned under Mac OSX) did
> work, however. I didn't have many files coming off Disk Three, so it
> didn't fail. Disk Four also went fine.
>
> What I am wondering is two things. 1) Why would the verification and
> burning of the disks fail under two different OSes and burning
> programs despite the md5 checksum being correct? 2) Why would the Mac
> OSX-burned disk be corrupted in different areas than the
> Windows-burned disk?
>
> I have not tried to burn/verify Disk Two and Three under Linux because
> I don't want to "waste" another CD-R. I assume it will generate
> similar results. Any insight on what occurred here would be great. The
> install was successful so that isn't the problem... I am just curious
> as to what caused these anomalies...
>
> --
> Grand Demon

I assuming you are burning these as iso images and not as one large
file.  You can check this by trying to open the disk.  You should see
all the directories not just the original file.

The other thing that's caused me problems is that they have problems if
burned as "Track at Once".  Burn them as "Disc at once".

Gerry