What IS reasonable disk drive temperature?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Jun 13 02:31:58 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 04:13:14PM -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> > Or, a third possibility, which is: you are misunderstanding what Ben is
> > saying. :) He means the ambient temperature *inside* the case, not outside.
> > Presumably, it's not 40C in his server room or office. Even my
> > poorly-conditioned office is, as you can see below, only 82 degrees F --
> > about 27C.
> No I think what is being stated is that it is hard to imagine how the
> disk drives can be at lower temperature that the air in the case. At
> least not for long. Otherwise the air the case would begin to heat the
> disk drives and eventually they would be at the same temperature.

That would certainly be the case if you didn't have any fresh air coming
*in* to the case, which hopefully you do. :)

In many setups, there's an air intake for the hard drives. On one of my
older systems which has a big, hot scsi drive, I have a dedicated
fan/heatsink thing (like this: <http://www.directron.com/lhdv07.html> -- not
where I got mine, but the first google hit with pictures).