Dialup

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jun 13 16:25:40 UTC 2005

Thomas W. Cranston wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am Linux newbie. I am A+ certified (I know-big deal)
>
> I just installed Fedora Core 3 2004-11-03. I used System Settings -
> Network - Query - entered Password for root - Network Configuration - My
> USR internal hardware Modem shows up as ppp0.
>
> Nothing happens when I activate it. Its volume is set at very loud.
>
> I can get out on the web using that machine, running Damm Small Linux
> (DSL)form the CD player and RAM, so that tells me that there is not a
> hardware problem.
>
> I do not see any way to select authentication methods from the Network
> Configuration. (PAP, Chat, or CHAP) I do not see an option to configure
> my modem to .......S4 (comm 5) Where USR Modems usually configure to.
> This is where I place it when running DSL. I find it odd that a lot of
> Linux distros automatically configure the modem to .....S0 (comm 1), as
> most hardware modems are USR (at least in this part of the world), and
> they configure to ....S4. How do I make these choices?
>
> Now comes the big question
>
> I tried tail -f /var/log/messages, and got permission denied.
>
> I am assuming that I have root permissions, as I created a root password
> during the installation, as well as a User name and a password. I use my
> root password to use the network configuration application.
>
> How do I log on as root?
>
> I do not see anywhere to log on as root. After I boot up, I am asked for
> my user name, and then my password. I do not see anywhere to log on as
> root.

You can log on as root by using the username "root" instead of your own
username, and then enter root's password. However, this is generally a
bad thing to do because it's easy to do lots of damage by making
mistakes when running as root.

Instead, you could open a terminal window in your regular session and
enter the command "su -"; when prompted for the password, enter the root
password. This will switch you to root for just that terminal window.
You'll be able to run "tail -f /var/log/messages" in that window.

You could also try the command-line program "wvdial" as an option for
setting up an Internet connection.

Paul.