Upgrading using DVD iso image on HD

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Jun 13 19:02:06 UTC 2005

In the past I've upgraded using a set of CD iso's on my HD, with no need to
burn anything but a boot CD. Does this work with the DVD iso, as well?
(I've never used a DVD iso, so I don't know if they're just "bigger iso's"
or require their own special handling.)

With the CD iso's I've loved not having to burn media and the ability to
run the whole upgrade in one pass with no shuffling of disks. Afterwards, I
mount the images loopback and create an RPM symlink farm for yum updates. A
single DVD image should make the latter easier, as I won't need a symlink
farm, just one to the single RPMS directory. (Does it include yum metadata?)