FC4 Torrent Slow? Or, is it just me?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Jun 14 01:01:47 UTC 2005

clemens at dwf.com wrote:

>>I was getting the same speeds you are experiencing until I changed
>>from Bittorrent to Azureus and checked the Azureus FAQ regarding the
>>yellow status icon. Found that I need to change the UPnP setting on my
>>router. If you are using a router with NAT enabled make sure that UPnP
>>is enabled.  Instead of 6-20 kB/sec I am now observing 200-220 kB/sec.
>>

> What is this UPnP thing?
> Is this something on a 'real' (hardware) router, or is it something I
> could set on a firewall/router running iptables???

In my Linksys 802.11g router, you can enable/disable UPnP in the
Administration/Management TAB of the WWW configuration interface.
The only documentation says:

"Used by certain programs to automatically open ports for communication."

> Im seeing a variation on the problems that everyone else reports.
> I have a Comcast Cable Modem, and started out at walking up to about 30kb/sec,
> then it continued up to 300kb/sec.  Thats what they rate the connection at,-
> 300kb/sec = 3mbit/sec.
>
> But when I checked on it an hour later, it was back down to 30kb/sec, and
> at the moment its sitting at 15.
>
> I strongly suspect that Comcast is limiting my daytime rate, and after letting
> me have 300kb/sec for a few minutes put on the brakes...

I saw similar with RCN.  I saw only 3mb/s download speeds until 5PM
local time when "magically" the speed started to increase, of course, 10
minutes later, both torrents finished!  (I have 10mb/s cable modem
service with RCN, 768kb/s uploads).  And after 5PM, my upload speeds
started to exceed 80kB/s.

> The good news is that in the past the speed has gone back up in the evening,
> so I will probably be able to finish tonight...

Yeah, when their highing paying customers go home for the night (the
operative word being "home"), they up the limitations on the home users.
  B^)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com