VOIP with a linksys PAP2

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Tue Jun 14 14:29:19 UTC 2005

At 5:02 AM +0100 6/14/05, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
>On 6/14/05, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:
>> No, what he said was clear to me.  He knows both interfaces work because
>> he's tried each of them in turn.  Of course, when he did that, each one was
>> automatically configured by DHCP in his router, and the other one would
>> have been unconfigured.
>>
>> For his setup to work, he needs to either run a DHCP server on the
>> downstream i/f (usually his eth1) or set up that i/f with a static IP (or
>> probably both so his 'phone thing gets an address).
>>
>> Or he could put the hub between his upstream i/f and the router, and put
>> the 'phone on the hub, but he doesn't want to do that.
>
>heh, glad I made sense to at least one person ;)
>
>I turned everything off, plugged things in like so:
>
>internet-->router-->wireless-->asus network adapter-->hub
>
>hub-->PAP2-->telephone
>
>hub-->eth0
>
>on reboot I got messages about 100% packet loss.

>From where?  The PAP2?  Linux?

>I'm looking over
>/var/log/messages and dmesg, can't find those error messages.  anyhow,
>as I understand there's a problem with MAC address's which prevents
>that setup.  (ultimately, this'd be nice, for now I'm just looking for
>a phone.)

It sounds like your upstream setup is configured to allow only one computer
at a time?

If this is the case, test with just the PAP2, with the Linux machine
disconnected from the hub.  Until that works, you probably won't get it to
work through Linux.

>I need a DHCP router on the downstream, meaning between eth0 and eth1
>to provide the masquerading?

Seems likely.  Although the masquerading isn't provided by the DHCP, you
need both.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled experts, like Kevin, who actually
know how to set up TCP/IP.