Dual Boot Problem

disguised.jedi at gmail.com disguised.jedi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:02:01 UTC 2005

On 6/13/05, Jessica L. Veltman <veltjes at iit.edu> wrote:
> As seems to be the trend with Fedora, I am once again having problems
> with dual booting with XP. I love Fedora, and have installed every main
> release, but have never gotten dual boot to work right the first
> install. This time though, it isn't the usual problem. I got all the way
> through the installation process, until I had to restart my computer. At
> which time, my computer restarted straight into windows. No grub,
> nothing. Not even an error. I installed GAG, and it can see the Fedora
> partitions (which are on a seperate drive from my windows install), but
> it cannot boot them. It says that it cannot find the boot sector.
> I would truely love to run only Fedora, and tried it for awhile, but my
> school requires windows for some very specific software that WINE won't
> run. Also, I'd prefer to use the 64-bit version, which as far as I know
> still doesn't have Flash or Java support for the 64-bit browsers.
> Granted, I could always install the 32-bit browsers, but it would be
> nicer to not have to do that. But basically it comes down to I have to
> dual boot or not use Fedora, and its not working for me right now. Has
> anyone else had this problem or know how I might fix it? Thanks!
>
> -Jessie

Try booting with a Windows XP CD and running 'fixmbr' in the recovery
console.  That removes any instances of GRUB from the MBR.  I had this
same problem, and after I did that and re-installed Fedora, GRUB
re-installed itself to the MBR, and it worked fine.

Let me know if you do that and it doesn't work, or if it does for that matter!

--
PHP rocks!
"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Go to school, become evil"

However, I must say that the ENTIRE contents of this message are
subject to other's criticism, corrections, and speculations.

This message is Certified Virus Free