Print Sharing in FC3

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jun 14 22:16:21 UTC 2005

Steve & Julie Croteau wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 June 2005 07:29 am, Tony Nelson wrote:
>
>>At 10:46 PM -0700 6/13/05, Steve & Julie Croteau wrote:
>>
>>>Greetings,
>>>Attempting to print share with two FC3 boxes behind a router without
>>>success.
>>>I'm very new to this so be gentle.  Does anyone know where I can find a
>>>simple 'how to' on this subject?  I haven't been able to find one.
>>
>>FWIW, I had (and may have again) trouble setting up my odd conf (which uses
>>netatalk to print to a localtalk laserprinter through a Mac), where
>>system-config-printer kept mucking with what I entered.  I had more success
>>with the CUPS web interface at <http://localhost:631> .
>>____________________________________________________________________
>>TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
>>      '                              <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>
>

> I've taken your advice and have been working with Cups at
> <http://localhost:631>.  We have 2 computers at home both connected to a
> Netgear Prosafe VPN Firewall/Router, model FVS-318.  Just recently changed
> from SuSE 9.2 to FC3 on both boxes.  Love FC3!!  The admin program in the
> router tells me I've got box #1 with an IP of 192.168.0.2 and box #2 with an
> IP of 192.168.0.3.
>
> On box #1 (which is where the HP usb printer is attached) should I set up the
> printer as an IPP(http), IPP(ipp), Hal, or as a local USB printer?  After set
> up in Cups, I can turn on 'sharing' in the gnome printconf gui correct?  Once
> sharing is on, do I only share it with 192.168.0.3?
>
> On box #2 same questions, ipp(http), ipp(ipp)?  Those options require a device
> URL name.  I realize it depends on the answer to the previous question but am
> I close with this:
>
> Device URI: http://192.168.0.2:631/ipp/631

> Do I need the queue appended to that URI?  The queue on the server
> is /printer/deskjet-5550.

If you want to use URI notation, the URI should be
"ipp://192.168.0.2/deskjet-5550" or just "192.168.0.1:631/deskjet-5550".
And the server MUST be sharing the queue.

The easiest way to set this up is to get on the server machine and run
"system-config-printer".  Right click on the "deskjet-5550" entry,
select "Sharing...", then make sure that the "This queue available to
other machines" option is checked and put in an appropriate IP/netmask
in the IP listing ("192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0" should work for you).
Once all that's done, click "Save".  At the main menu, click "Apply".

When CUPS restarts, go to the client machine, run the same
"system-config-printer" command on it and click on the "browsed queues".
You should be able to see the shared printer (it may take a minute for
the client to actually see them).  Select it and away you go.
-          When all else fails, try reading the instructions.        -