Logging Failed Login attempts

Ted Beaton tbeaton at plansysit.com
Wed Jun 15 12:57:34 UTC 2005

I'm trying to log bad login attemps.  They are supposed to be logged to
/var/log/btmp according to the man page on the "lastb" command.  I
touched the /var/log/btmp file to create it and when I run the lastb
command it reads the file but none of the "bad login attempts" get
logged to the file.  Anyone know how to turn this logging on?  I have
tested faillog and that works if someone uses a real username to try and
login and fails but does not record failed login attempts with a bogus
username (ie someone guessing usernames).  Any ideas?

All information contained in this email is confidential and may be used by the intended recipient only.