realplay RPM is nasty [was: jre and other plugins in FC4]

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Jun 15 15:59:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 05:26 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> realplayer - the rpm on this page worked in fc3 -
> http://www.real.com/linux/

The problem with the "official" realplay RPM is that it's doing all
kinds of nasty things to MIME dependencies and stuff like that. realplay
is very intrusive and changes a lot of things.

Someone needs to build a different package, that hooks onto itself only
the Real audio/video types and nothing else. It's doable, the license
allows it, the package creator needs only to sign an agreement with
Real.com, that is not binding in any way.

I'd do it myself if I had time... <sigh>

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/