partition labels

Duncan Lithgow dlithgow at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 21:55:20 UTC 2005

hi all,

I've just had trouble with FC3 not seeming able to find the /
partition and mount it rw - it's reporting 'Read only file system' and
refusing to start. Happened after I installed Ubuntu - from what I can
find it seems this is because I've messed up by not giving things
different labels. Does that sound right? but on to FC4...

When I install FC4 shall I make sure each partition has a unique
label? Like / could be Label=fc4-base or something?

So are those partition labels just like directory names and then we
mount it as whatever? I haven't been giving them labels so they've
been getting whatever diskdruid gives them - which I think is the same
as what they are mounted as (the partition for '/home' has the label
'/home')

A bit of help with this would be appreciated so I don't screw up the
system again.

Duncan