Kernel panic installing FC4

Chris Stark cstark at hawaii.edu
Thu Jun 16 01:28:00 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 2:17 pm, Beppe wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to install new FC4 but system hangs during first step of
> installation.
> The only message I can see is a long list of unuseful strings beginning
> with:
>
> [<c01002b8>] init+0x18/0xf0
> [<c01012b1>] kernel_thread_helper+0x5/0x14
> code: c8 ....
> <0> kernel panic - not syncing: Attempt to kill init!

Hi there,

I ran into this problem with my P4/Intel 915P system too. The solution is
really weird...

1. Boot off your CD/DVD

2. At the "Boot:" prompt, type a garbage command like 'asdfghjkl' and hit
'Enter'. Naturally, you'll get an error.

3. Now either hit 'Enter' if you don't need any boot options, or enter your
legitimate commands and hit Enter. It should work now.

My MSI mobo seems to need the 'pci=nosort' option or else I get different
unrelated kernel panics.

I hope this helps.

Aloha,
--