installing fc4 kernel (new to fc but not linux)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jun 16 09:36:41 UTC 2005

Gezim Hoxha wrote:
> This is my first (serious) attempt at fedora. The installation went
> fine. I wanted to install ndiswrappers but turns out the kernel source
> is not in the default install. The release notes said to issue this
> command in order to install the kernel source:
> rpm -Uvh kernel-devel[-xen0]-<version>.<arch>.rpm

This is for building out-of-tree kernel modules; it's not the full
kernel source.

> and I did this:
> rpm -Uvh kernel-devel-2.6.11.rpm
> However, that didn't work, it said it can't find the file or something
> like that. So, my question is, does this file (kernel-devel-2.6.11.rpm)
> need to be downloaded,

You can install the kernel-devel package using yum:

# yum install kernel-devel

If you want the full kernel sources, you can get the kernel SRPM from:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.src.rpm

or a similar location at your nearest Fedora mirror site.

Paul.