Can the FC3 upgrade to FC4 using the CDs ?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jun 16 09:50:22 UTC 2005

Jack Howarth wrote:
> Paul,
>    What do you think the chances are of a FC2 to FC4 upgrade
> working? Specifically I have a software RAID-1 using to
> SATA drives and am concerned about that surviving the upgrade
> process.

I've never done this so I can't say for certain. However, I would
approach the upgrade with confidence because:

(a) mdadm identifies RAID volumes by scanning the partitions, not by
looking for specific devices, so it should still work even if the device
names have changed between FC2 and FC4.

(b) if it isn't going to work, you'll find out at an early stage of
running anaconda because it won't be able to find the filesystems for
your existing system when it's looking for a system to upgrade. So you
could just reboot at that point and be back in FC2 where you started from.

Paul.