USB Printer not recognised in FC4

Peter McGregor peter954 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jun 16 10:01:35 UTC 2005

Hi
I am trying to get my Panasonic usb printer to print under redhat core
4.

The printer shows up under /proc/bus/usb/devices

T:  Bus=02 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=03 Cnt=01 Dev#=  5 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=04da ProdID=0f40 Rev= 1.00
S:  Manufacturer=Panasonic
S:  Product=KX-P7100
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr= 48mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms

Note that the Driver says (none)

I can't find any mention of Panasonic under sysfs and I am stuck.

All I want to do is set up the printer as a RAW device so that Windows
users can print to it.

What I think I am trying to do is assign the usblp kernel driver/module
to the Panasonic. Then hopefully udev will recognise it and create
something like a /dev/usb/lp0 port

Searching on the web, I have found out a lot about udev but not much
about what I am trying to do.

I found a short reference to MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE which apparently the
the Kernel uses link to the device...

Fedora Code 4 seems to do things differently when it comes to modules,
which makes it even harder to find info..

Any help on more docs on this topic or direct answers would be
appreciated

Thank you

Peter McGregor