FC4 - multimedia support & patents

Levin Fritz levinfritz at mediales.net
Thu Jun 16 16:32:29 UTC 2005

Hi,

> Now for the dreaded words mp3,mpeg etc.
> Since Fedora Extra does not seem to hold the packages that will allow me
> to read my music/video files properly, do I have to assume I will have
> to build my own rpms? Or are they on the way out?

I don't know if this is any help to you, but here's what I did:

(1) Save the following as /etc/yum.repos.d/livna.repo:
[livna]
name=Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.lvn
gpgcheck=1
enabled=1

(2) Run
  rpm --import http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

(3) Run
  yum install xmms-mp3
Now xmms can play MP3 files.

(4) Run
  yum install gstreamer-plugins-mp3
Now rhythmbox and any other music player that uses gstreamer can play
MP3 files.

(5) Save the following as /etc/yum.repos.d/freshrpms.repo:
[freshrpms]
name=FreshRPMs Repository for Fedora $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms
gpgcheck=1
enabled=1

(6) Run
  rpm --import http://freshrpms.net/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.txt

(7) Run
  yum install xine
Now you can play encrypted DVDs with xine.

I couldn't get totem to play DVDs correctly, neither with the gstreamer
backend nor with the xine-lib one. If anyone knows of any tricks to make
that work, I'd sure like to hear about it...

Levin