Partitioning / LVM Advice RHEL4

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 21:01:12 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am setting up a Dell poweredge box with two 70 g hard drives. The default
LVM partition has one / with everything in it, and two volume groups, one
for each scsi drive.

Since I havent put the machine in production yet, I am wondering if I should
manually reduce the one from 70 to about 40, and save off about 30 GB? This
will be running one application, nothing else to speak of, but I am a bit
paranoid about log files filling up partitions and the like, especially on a
server running an app like this day in and day out. I am also paranoid about
having one big /

Also I am wondering if mirroring is something I should even consider. I
don't think we need anywhere NEAR 140 gigs. Maybe I could just make manual
copies of certain files and leave them on my 'extra' 30 GB partition.

If anyone has a good general 'rules of thumb' type link or paper please
share.

Thanks
Marc