Network device name changed-fedora4..network in mess..

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Fri Jun 17 01:36:19 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 09:13 +0900, Saurabh Siddharth wrote:
> Hi..
> I installed fedora4 this tuesday on my dell latitude d600...i configured
> for wireless( i have intell 2100) and it was up and running. but once i
> rebooted my machine, it did not work. i opened the network
> configuration(system-config-network) and under the hardware tab i saw
> that the system had swapped my device names( it was now eth0 for
> wireless and eth1 for ethernet)

AFAIK, this is really a kernel issue. The kernel assigns network device
names in the order it encounters the devices, and from time to time
(usually after an upgrade), it encounters them in a different order than
usual.

The workaround I use is to configure /etc/modprobe.conf to make sure
that when one driver gets loaded (the one I want to be eth1), it first
loads the other driver (the one I want to be eth0):

alias eth1 orinoco_cs
alias eth0 e100
# Force eth0 to get loaded before orinoco_cs, to make sure
# the network devices get the right names
#
install orinoco_cs /sbin/modprobe -q eth0; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install orinoco_cs

Hope this helps.

--
Aaron Gaudio <prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org>